As a manager or a lead for a new project, it is highly likely that you would be pulled into different directions and you would lose the track of time. It is a fact that 70 percent of the business and professionals have learned to keep things on track by mastering their time.
You too need to keep your plans on the track by learning better ways to manage your workload. The following tricks will help you to schedule your time effectively:
- Get started by recording all your activities, conversations and actions for a week. This will help you understand where all your precious time is going and what more could have been done by avoiding unproductive activities.
- To-do list is a great way in keeping up with what needs to be done now but keeping an appointment book is better. Schedule appointments with yourself specifying the appointment start and end time as well as the appointment priority.
- Set aside 50% of your time engaged in the most important thoughts, activities and discussions that drive your results.
- Interruptions are unavoidable so always plan ahead for interruptions and keep enough time aside knowing you will get pulled away from your work.
- Take the starting 30 minutes of your each day to plan your day. Don’t begin your day until you have finished your day plan. The most critical time of your day is the time you schedule to schedule time.
- Take a few minutes before any call, conversation or activity to think what you want to achieve out of it. After every activity take a few minutes to reflect on what you wanted to achieve and what you had achieved. If your desired result was not achieved why was that and what can you do to avoid this from happening the next time.
- Schedule time to return calls and emails. Make it your practice to stop picking up the phone or replying to emails just because it is ringing or just because they keep turning up in your inbox.
- Start to put up a “Do not disturb” sign when you have to get work done right away.
- Don’t use social networking sites even if it is just to check the status unless they are used to generate business.
- Follow the 80-20 rule that 20 percent of your efforts will generate 80 percent of the results. Know that you cannot do everything but effective time management and scheduling keeps you on the track and get things done on time and smoothly keeping everyone happy.
The University of Atlanta Explore, Educate and Evolve campaign strives to provide the most valuable insights and facts. With the University of Atlanta Explore, Educate and Evolve campaign we aim to impart knowledge and make learning a delightful experience.